Exterior of the car
A couple of starting points to look for outside the car include:
- Looking for any signs of corrosion or sharp edges that might be dangerous to passers by.
- Doors should open from the inside and the outside of the car, as well as stay firmly shut.
- Check your fuel cap has no damage to it and the seal works.
- Inspect all the lights on your car – including the main headlights, brake, fog, reverse and indicator lights. Don’t forget the number plate lights either.
- Don’t forget to check the lights above your license plates and ensure there are no other factors that are obstructing the plates from view such as excess dirt.
- Check the brake fluid levels are between the min and max indicators. Your brakes should not make any loud noise, feel spongy or veer to one side when you brake.
- Test putting the handbrake on – if it is hard to pull up, or releases too quickly, the cable might need adjusting.
- Check the tread on your tyres – a quick way to do this is to insert a 20p piece into the grooves of your tyre; if the edge of the outside of the coin is completely hidden, your tyres meet the minimum tread depth of 1.6mm.
- Check the wipers work – if they make any unusual noises, or don’t clear the windscreen properly, you might need to replace the blades on them.
- Any cracks or chips measuring a diameter of 10mm within the drivers’ line of vision can cause an MOT fail.
Under the bonnet
- The garage needs sufficient levels of oil to conduct the emissions test and brake fluid must be above minimum level. As such, make sure both are topped up to the necessary markers.
- Make sure you’ve sufficient windscreen washer fluid too, so the tester can check they function adequately.
Interior of the car
MOT testers check a variety of points inside your car and can refuse to carry out the MOT if the car is unreasonably dirty, so it’s a good time for a clean. Some of the main areas to check on the inside of your car include:
- Turn on the ignition and check all warning lights all go on and then go off again.
- Check the horn works.
- Speedometer must be fully functional, with the needle accurately representing the speed.
- Check your mirrors are clearly visible when you’re sat in the driver’s seat; every car must have two rear view mirrors, and at least one must be a driver’s side mirror to pass the MOT.
- Seats should feel secure, with no abnormal movement when they are locked in place.
- Seatbelts should be fully functional and shouldn’t have any signs of fraying or other damage to the belts or the fastening mechanism.
Fantastic, friendly and non-patronising customer service (unlike a lot of garages). I called about a problem with my windscreen wiper arm and they suggested bringing it in there and then. I brought the car in, had the problem fixed and drove away within 25 minutes of calling! Will definitely return and recommend to others.
So nice to come across a good, friendly, well-established motor company when I found myself in a pickle with a puncture on the wrong side of town for me. Steve and the team were really helpful and so near too the tram stop too. Could not be better.
Hi just wanted to say thank you for finding and repairing all the leaks in my car. I was very impressed with the service and customer care provided. Thanks Dave for your detailed explanation and for your advice and tips. I highly recommend your garage to others for a genuine, friendly and reasonably priced service.
Not a request, but just had my car fixed and wanted to say thanks! Was recommended this garage by multiple people and very pleased with service, reliability and quickness. Will definitely be using this garage again.
Excellent service - polite, friendly, efficient, honest and professional. Very trustworthy and I don't feel like they would ever rip you off.
Friendly efficient service
The garage is really communicative and informative. I always trust their advice.
The staff always explain issues properly and keep you updated.
Very reliable staff who always keep me informed about the jobs that need doing before going ahead with the repairs. Fair prices, friendly staff and high quality jobs.